Teaching Pets & Their Owners
At BratPak, we take training seriously and believe well-behaved dogs are happier and healthier members of your family and our community. Additionally, dogs who clearly understand his/her “pack leader’s” rules and boundaries will live a more fulfilled and happy life. But it is up to YOU to clearly communicate those rules and boundaries to ensure you and your precious pooch live a fun and harmonious life together.
That’s why at BratPak, we focus on teaching OWNERS as much as we do the dogs. Our certified dog trainer and expert behaviorist goes well beyond traditional “obedience” techniques to give you a better understanding of your dog’s unique personality and communication needs, so that you can develop a lifelong relationship based on mutual trust and respect. We utilize the “LIMA” (Least Intrusive, Minimally Aversive) approach to dog training, focused on positive reinforcement and using the minimal level of correction required for your individual dog. While many trainers take a “cookie cutter” approach to training, assuming that every dog will respond in the same manner to the same training techniques, we take time to learn and work with each dog’s unique temperament and learning style. We offer a variety of training formats to best fit your schedule and training needs, and we look forward to working with you and your best friend.
The “LIMA” Approach to Dog Training
According to the Handbook of Applied Dog Behavior and Training, Vol 3 (Steven Lindsay), LIMA refers to a dog training and behavior intervention philosophy known as “Least Intrusive, Minimally Aversive.” The LIMA approach requires use of the least intrusive, minimally aversive techniques out of a set of humane tactics most likely to succeed in achieving a specific training or behavior change objective. LIMA adherence also requires dog trainers and behavior consultants to be adequately educated and skilled in such techniques.
LIMA does not justify the use of punishment in lieu of other effective interventions and strategies. For this reason, dog parents should be cautious when dealing with a dog trainer or behaviorist who recommends using one tool or approach (e.g., pinch or e-collars) for every training need. In the vast majority of cases, the desired behavior change can be achieved by focusing on the animal’s environment, physical well-being, and operant and classical interventions such as differential reinforcement of an alternative behavior, desensitization, and counter-conditioning. For more details on LIMA, feel free to check out the following link: https://www.ccpdt.org/about-us/least-intrusive-minimally-aversive-lima-effective-behavior-intervention-policy/
Group Dog Training Classes
- Group classes with fewer than 3 registrations will be cancelled with full refund.
- All classes will be held on a recurring basis. Please call for the next date if not published below.
- For scheduling group classes or any questions, please call BratPak at (925) 980-2742.
- Puppy-Garten (Kindergarten) – These adorable classes are a MUST for puppies 8 to 16 weeks. These sessions are designed specifically to provide socialization and enrichment for your bouncy puppy and teach him/her proper play manners, while building a foundation for basic obedience. This class is essential to developing your pup’s confidence and social skills early in life.
- AGES: 8-16 weeks (also good for timid dogs older than 16 weeks, to be approved by exception)
- REQUIREMENTS: Proof of age-appropriate vaccinations.
- COST: $120 for 4 weeks
- DAY & TIME: Saturdays at 2:00 PM
- NEXT CLASS: Mar 7-28 2020 (A new series starts each month!)
- S.T.A.R. Puppy (Elementary School) – This American Kennel Club (AKC) S.T.A.R. program is designed to get puppies and their owners off to a great start with basic communication and obedience training. This course is beneficial to both puppies and their owners as we discuss proper socialization, behavior, equipment and exercise. We also begin the exciting journey of obedience training, focusing on elementary sit, down, stay, recall and leash work. This series also provides excellent preparation for our Basic Obedience course.
- AGES: 4 – 12 months
- REQUIREMENTS: Proof of Rabies, DHPP and Bordatella (kennel cough) vaccinations. Pups must be well-socialized and friendly with other dogs.
- COST: $180 for 6 weeks
- DAY & TIME: Saturdays at 4:00 PM
- NEXT CLASS: Mar 7-Apr 3 2020
- Basic Obedience (Junior High) – This course covers all the essentials of basic obedience (place, sit, down, stay, come, leave it, drop, loose leash and people greetings). In addition to the basic commands, you’ll be able to refine your communication techniques and maximize your dog’s learning potential.
- AGES: 6 months and older
- REQUIREMENTS: Proof of Rabies, DHPP and Bordatella (kennel cough) vaccinations. Dogs must be well-socialized, friendly with other dogs and able to focus in a group environment.
- COST: $180 for 6 weeks
- DAY & TIME: Tuesdays at 6:00 PM
- NEXT CLASS: Mar 3 – Apr 7 2020
- “Canine Good Citizen” Certification (High School) – This series is based on the AKC “Canine Good Citizen” (CGC) program and considered the first step in therapy dog training. It could also be considered as Advanced Obedience Training as it builds upon the basic obedience course to help your dog polish his/her training skills. The purpose of the CGC program is to ensure our canine companion is a respected member of the community by demonstrating appropriate behavior in the home, in public places, and in the presence of other dogs.
- AGES: 6 months and older
- REQUIREMENTS: Proof of Rabies, DHPP and Bordatella (kennel cough) vaccinations. Dogs must have completed at least one formal obedience course (at BratPak or other facility), be very well-socialized and friendly with other dogs and people.
- COST: $250 for 6 weeks plus the CGC certification test
- DAY & TIME: Thursdays at 6:00 PM
- NEXT CLASS: Mar 5 – Apr 9 2020
Private Dog Training
We work one-on-one with you and your dog to develop a customized training plan to teach specific skills and/or to address negative behaviors. We follow the “LIMA” approach, which means we use the “least intrusive, minimally aversive” techniques to effectively communicate with your individual dog. Since each dog is different, we adjust our approach to your dog’s age and unique personality to get the best results. When other trainers rely on one method for all dogs, which typically includes harsher tactics such as shock and prong collars, it shows a lack of behavior knowledge and may cause your dog unnecessary stress and even trauma. We offer private training sessions either on site, in your home, or at the place of your choosing (e.g., dog park, outdoor café), depending on your training objectives.
- AGES: Any age
- REQUIREMENTS: None
- COST: $150 per session (Special offer for Livermore, Pleasanton and Dublin–10% off for 3-PAK, 20% off for 5-PAK) (*Each session is 1-1.5 hours)
- AVAILABILITY: Monday – Saturday, including evenings
- SCHEDULING: Click HERE to schedule a private training session.
This unique “board and train” program is our most intensive training, but still using the same positive-focused and behavior-based training techniques. Our Puppy Kamp is a 6-day, 6-night program customized for your specific training needs. This program works great for puppy development in socialization, enrichment and obedience. We can also work with adult dogs who need help with socialization, obedience or manners.
(1) The Puppy Kamp is NOT appropriate for aggressive dogs.
(2) If desired, we can customize a plan where your dog will be with us during the day and go home overnight.
(3) Call for pricing and availability.